GREENWOOD – The summer baseball season is winding down for members of the Lander baseball team. As the Bearcats begin to return home to prepare for the 2018 season, here's a look at the summer highlights for Lander baseball.
Conaway Helps Lead Owls to Playoffs
As a member of the Forest City Owls, owners of the best record in the Coastal Plain League, rising senior outfielder Alex Conaway has driven in 13 runs and made 24 starts for the Owls.
Flores Promoted to CPL After All-Star Selection
Rising sophomore left-hander Ryan Flores was selected to the Southern Collegiate Baseball League All-Star Team after picking up four wins and a save in 12 appearances for the Lake Norman Copperheads. Flores joined the Morehead City Marlins of the Coastal Plain League to end the year.
Holton Sports Unbeaten Record in CRCBL
Rising junior lefty Erik Holton finished the season with a 3-0 record and a 2.55 ERA for the Loudoun Riverdogs of the Cal Ripken Collegiate Baseball League. Holton registered 35 strikeouts in 24.2 innings and owned the Riverdog pitching staff's lowest ERA and lone undefeated record.
Jones Excels in Forest City with All-Star Caliber Season
Rising junior Carson Jones emerged as one of the top hitters in the CPL, earning an all-star selection with the Forest City Owls. Jones leads the team with 16 doubles, second-most in the league. In 35 games, Jones is hitting .315 with 25 RBI, five home runs and a triple, while stealing four bases.
Yeager Produces Standout Season with Snowbirds
Rising sophomore Colton Yeager provided one of Lander's top seasons of the summer, batting .379 with the Palm Beach Snowbirds of the Collegiate League of the Palm Beaches. Yeager has tallied 17 RBI, seven doubles, two home runs and seven stolen bases.
• Playing with the Florence RedWolves in the Coastal Plain League, Bailey Connell has six doubles, five RBI, five walks and a stolen base in 17 starts.
• As a member of the Forest City Owls, Mason Dodd has recorded five doubles, one triple, one home run, 10 RBI and 10 walks.
• Right-hander Tripper Ergle made 11 appearances for the Florence RedWolves, going 1-1 with a 2.21 ERA and two saves, while holding opponents to a .189 batting average.
• Bearcat pitchers have recorded 12 wins, six saves and 193 strikeouts this summer.
• At the plate, Lander hitters have tallied 105 RBI on 155 hits, including 47 doubles and 13 home runs.